Monday, May 24, 2010

Nothing but NOW

My current read, A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose by Eckhart Tolle has had a major impact on my Life since I've picked it up. I suppose it's somewhat a self help book and I know a lot of people are skeptical about taking advice from strangers (lol), but THIS book is.... phenomenal. I didn't know what to expect when I first started reading. Funny, I read the first few pages a few months back and sat it down because it didn't capture me right off the back. After hearing from a friend that it had really helped change his state of mind... I decided to give it another try. I'm more than happy I did... I'm peaceful.... I'm present. There's so much I could ramble on and on about with this read but I won't. Instead, I'm going to post a few quotes from the author himself. That way you can get a feel of what the vibe is and what the book is really about. Some of the quotes will be from A New Earth, while others will be from The Power of Now. No... I'm not going to take the time to say which is from which. Just.. pick up one of the books and see for yourself. Please. Oh... and.... Thank you :)


-"...can you cease looking to conceptual definitions to give you a sense of self?"


-"Death is a stripping away of all that is not you. The secret of life is to "die before you die" — and find that there is no death"


-"The quicker you are in attaching verbal or mental labels to things, people, or situations, the more shallow and lifeless your reality becomes.."


-"Words reduce reality to something the human mind can grasp, which isn't very much."


-"You find God the moment you realize that you don't need to seek God"



-"Living up to an image that you have of yourself or that other people have of you is inauthentic living."



-"The insanity of the collective egoic mind, amplified by science and technology, is rapidly taking our species to the brink of disaster. Evolve or die: that is our only choice now."



-"an emotion is the body's reaction to your mind"



-"The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it."



-"The most common ego identifications have to do with possessions, the work you do, social status and recognition, knowledge and education, physical appearance, special abilities, relationships, person and family history, belief systems, and often also political, nationalistic, racial, religious, and other collective identifications. None of these is you."



-"Nothing ever happened in the past; it happened in the Now. Nothing will ever happen in the future; it will happen in the Now."



-"Being must be felt. It can't be thought."



-"The mind is a superb instrument if used rightly. Used wrongly, however, it becomes very destructive. To put it more accurately, it is not so much that you use your mind wrongly—you usually don't use it at all. It uses you."



-"Nothing ever happened in the past that can prevent you from being present now..."

-Eckhart Tolle

Oops... got a little carried away. I could do more...... no?

Just...... read it.

-SydniMichael

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome quotes...I'll definitely have to check that book out. Thanks for the recommendation!

E said...

I've read this book at least 2wice... It's pretty great. Exactly what I've been looking for. If you haven't already, read The Alchemist and/or The Lotus Still Blooms. Trust me.

Syre sire said...

i definitely am glad i have at least one person like you im connected to that can put me up on stuff like this.. those quotes have me wanting to go find that book on my next day off..

Unknown said...

I bought that book for someone in my past with hopes that it would have a positive effect, but they decided it didn't apply to them. It started off well. I have to get another copy and finish it up.